First, what he suggested you will need to target cold points is not a fancoil but a hydro-coil which, according to Greg can be integrated with radiant flooring. They both said that something like this will be needed wherever you have carpet or lots of windows. It is also not considered forced hot air. I found this online about Hydro-Coil:
Hydro Coil: Air is heated by hot water running through a heat exchanger in the air ducts. The hot water comes from an extremely efficient gas water heater. Air crossing the heat exchanger is warmed to increase about 35°F; with the thermostat set at 68°F, air exits the vents at about 103°F. Efficiencies and operating costs are about the same as a typical gas furnace, but the air handler can be located inside the conditioned space with no outside air venting needed.I would want to be sure it doesn't make a racket inside the walls every time it kicks in, but the science really makes sense: you heat around the perimeter at points of cold air entry and that creates a buffer so that you spend less energy reheating the entire volume, but only the "front" of cold air. Still what few units I've seen online look kinda ugly, and I'm dubious they can heat a whole room. They place the intake and outgoing vents really close together (where normally they'd be placed far part, one by the ceiling the other by the floors).
Second, and perhaps more stupidly on my part, I got another important detail completely backwards: Sean (as well as Greg) recommended AGAINST stemming steam and hot water off of the same boiler. The drain of the boiling water is too great and it compromises the ability for steam heat to build up.
From looking over the drawings and just talking it over, Greg seemed to think your best bet is to scrap the steam heat altogether, and convert your boiler (as long as it's gas) over to a combination of radiant floors and hydro-coil (which will serve both for heating and cooling in one). Thought this might be the cheapest.
Gotta run.
S

2 comments:
Seth,
Thanks for the updated kitchen elevation. Perhaps it was premature to say put the kitchen aside. In any case, no matter. I have forwarded this to Crown Pointe, and I will check with you when I send anything likewise again.
I do agree that we need to go over what they come up with, if only because there may some things that can be done to the box to facilitate the kitchen. Fudge a little window there, nudge a little door here. The sad truth is that, in order to contain the kitchen costs even modestly, I have to be prepared to go with stock sizes of cabinetry. I will continue talking to various shops, and try to narrow it down to one with whom we can then sit down and fine tune. And actually, it hasn't been the kitchen designers who've been trying to talk me down from the slanted ceiling; it was my deduction when I've asked them why, for a kitchen with suprisingly little cabinetry, the price was so high. The height of the cabinets is one factor. It is my own curiosity about the meeting point between slanted ceiling and cabinet crown.
It's interesting that we both alighted on hydro coil (hydro air) yesterday. I'm excited about the possibility. Every builder we've met with has mentioned it; I've given off nonplussed reactions because I've assumed it's just another iteration of forced air. But now I see it's very different. It could be just the system we've been looking for.
Did you get my message about meeting with Bob on Tuesday night? Could you make it at 7:00? I specifically requested 7 or later, to accomodate your work, and because you've said you'd like to be in on some of these meetings. Lemme know if you can swing it.
See you tonight,
Kimberly
I'm reluctant to bring in Atlantic, knowing they'll be out of our price range. Every builder we've brought in has mentioned hydro coil, which leads me to believe there are a good supply of guys able to do this. Do you think we should see Atlantic?
Converting the boiler from steam to hot water is something I think would be totally feasible. The only thing I don't know is what is entailed in taking out all the steam radiators. Interestingly, I know this is what the Cella's are doing, so I should ask them what they know. Wow, if we didn't have steam radiators, re-casing the parlor entrance would be simplified , it just occurred to me; we wouldn't have to work around the radiator cover . . .
Post a Comment