Dear Christine,
Good Monday! Met with our architects Friday night. Here are a few notes from that meeting, plus a couple other thoughts to keep in mind as you begin the design:
1) On the west side of the kitchen (on the floor plan), you see boxes next to the fridge reserved for a narrow broom closet and message center (phone desk, book shelves, pencil drawer). Last night, we decided to forgo the message center and turn that all into one wider broom closet (we'll get the drawings to reflect that as soon as we can). Likely, we'll just frame and drywall it in, but the question we had was whether CrownPoint would make the door, such that it tied into the kitchen cabinetry.
2) The exposed side of the fridge will be paneled in cork board, so the kids have a place to pin up their art work.
3) The fridge width is still up for debate. We're trying to save some money by NOT going the Subzero route, and going instead with another better-brand, but not built-in, fridge (like a GE Profile, or something). Or, we're considering recycling our old Subzero with new paneling (36" wide). At any rate, this decision could be driven what would work best with cabinetry, so let us know what we could do in that area of the kitchen.
4) I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Fisher-Paykel dish drawers, and the Fisher-Paykel double ovens.
5) The butler's pantry shows floor cabinets on two sides of the room. I think instead I'd like floor cabinets only on the one wall (and probably the narrower-depth kind, at that). On the other wall, I'd like floor-to-ceiling open shelving, possibly with carpentry brackets (not corbels; think less showey, more craftsman-ey).
4) To the left of the kitchen sink is shown a counter that juts out a bit, with shelving underneath that faces out into the great room. I think I'd like a mid-depth pencil drawer there, something to hold kids crayons, scissors, a stapler, some tape, etc., then open shelves below that for cookbooks.
5) Now, for inspiration regarding the "look" of the kitchen. I've been thinking of using a few pieces of yellowware that I own for color scheme and period. See http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Yellow-Ware-Yelloware-Bowl-9-Stripes_W0QQitemZ180105846872QQihZ008QQcategoryZ592QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and http://cgi.ebay.com/Early-Vintage-Yellow-Ware-Yellowware-Bowl_W0QQitemZ260106052839QQihZ016QQcategoryZ592QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem or http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/309-Yellowware-bowl-English-marked-Greens-on-base_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ28217QQihZ001QQitemZ110114251484QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW for a couple of looks at yellowware. I love the ochre colors, the combination of yellows and whites, and the dobby stripes. This pottery was popular in the Edwardian period, which is close cousins to Victorian.
6) I love the old-fashioned ice box-ey look of simple, recessed panel cabinets and characteristic hardware (thinking mostly about oil-rubbed bronze these days).
7) I like chunky beadboard or board-and-batten finish carpentry. In fact, I've been thinking that if we go with a few glass-front cabinets, I should put beadboard in the back. I also like either cut-out toe kicks or bracket feet on the cabinets.
8) I like carrara marble and clean, honed flannel-gray stones without motion, like pietra cardoza or irish limestone. I'm also open to butcher block counter, especially to bring the color of the floor (which will be red oak strip flooring) up to the counter level. I had been interested in concrete, but lately, have been reading a lot about hairline cracks, so maybe not so interested, though I do love its soft feel. I like subway tile in the kitchen. I'm not a fan of tile murals, or even decorated tile. I like simple. (I know tile and stone are not generally your concern, but then, the cabinetry contributes to the entire look, so I'm providing all the details that come to mind).
9) I'm interested in the milk paint, possibly in mustard for the island. I don't like fancy angles or curves for the island. I essentially want it to look like a big, antique work table from a farm in old Denmark, but I do have the need for some storage underneath; in particular, I'm thinking of a microwave drawer from Sharp. There's needs to be seating for two - three at the island.
I think that's all I have to "dump" at the moment. My husband and I watched your DVD last night with a bowl of popcorn, and that was fun. We were very impressed. We're excited to see what you come up with.
Best,
Kimberly Carlile
Belmont, MA
617/489-9855
Saturday, April 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment